Candidate for Wisconsin Superintendent of Public Instruction
Welcome to our campaign site – and thank you for taking time to learn more about my background and the goals & objectives we share for ALL our state’s kids! Print and share this campaign summary.
I am a Wisconsinite, born and raised, and have been married to my high school sweetheart, Sue, since 1980. We have five children who attended both parochial and public schools. Like many of you, we were ‘choosy’ in that regard, always trying to find what’s best for each child. In 2004, Sue and I both earned our Educational Doctorate Degrees in Leadership, Learning and Service, from Milwaukee’s Cardinal Stritch University. Previously, while working on my Masters in Education from UW – Madison, I served as a police officer in Whitewater.
My education experience exceeds 30 years and includes teaching at a small parochial school in Minnesota, serving as an elementary and middle school principal in Cambridge, and being honored as a Wisconsin Principal of the Year and National Distinguished Principal in Peshtigo. I have also served as a superintendent or district administrator in the Palmyra-Eagle, Beloit and Whitnall school districts, covering a wide and diverse spectrum of rural, urban and suburban communities.
While serving those schools and districts, I have:
- Raised test scores in all districts and schools served by collaborating with teachers, administrators and parents
- Collaborated with business, industry and community to
- Create a regional, multi-district career and technical education academy
- Launch annual business/education summits
- Create charter schools
- Partnered with a team of parents and community members to build one of the state’s finest high school athletic complexes without raising taxes
- Led successful urban school reform effort, drastically reduced violence, returned control of classroom to teachers, closed achievement gaps and increased graduation rates
- Consistently raised teacher satisfaction, pre- and post-Act 10
- Put systems and teams in place to consistently close gaps by raising academic achievement of all students
Thoughts on Education
Low performing schools are not the fault of teachers, parents or students. They are causd by poor leadership, low expectations, and an entrenched system that looks out for itself instead of the kids. We must summon the courage to acknowledge our past failures and commit to change. Tony Evers has had 16 years at DPI to fix achievement gaps in Milwaukee and Madison and he has failed. Our state cannot afford to lose another generation – CHANGE IS URGENTLY NEEDED!
The role of schools throughout history has been to prepare our children, with the help of their family, religious institutions and communities, to be good and productive citizens. In order to improve opportunities for our children, schools need to strengthen the partnership between the home and the community. Schools that create learning organizations and collaborative learning teams, and place an emphasis on serving children in partnership with their communities, will be successful.
As a leader of public education for roughly thirty years, I have NEVER been afraid of competition – it makes ALL of us better!
As your state Superintendent of Instruction, we will work together to –
- Ensure the children of Wisconsin are competing on a global level
- Improve performance, safety and discipline levels
- Change the culture and climate of our educational system to attract and retain great teachers
- Return local control to your districts
- Advocate for strong schools, no matter if they are public, private, parochial, charter, or voucher schools
We can no longer turn our back on the thousands of children who are victims of failing schools. Local control must be returned so we can safeguard the future for the next generation. Success is a direct result of the team with which we work. If we strive to build strong teams to compete in the education marketplace, the children, our neighbors, and the State of Wisconsin will be the winners!
Lowell E. Holtz, Ed. D.
Kidservative Candidate for
Wisconsin Superintendent of Public Instruction
July 12, 2016